Tuesday, November 23, 2010

In the Company of Pilgrims

Just wrapped up a two week adventure with a crew of International Semester Students on their Florida phase.  Throughout the expedition, I truly felt like I was traveling with a group of pilgrims.  When asked why they were on this course, they all spoke of searching and looking for a direction in their lives.  Some even spoke of being lost.  They had all landed in this place in time together for many of the same reasons.  When I look at the definition of Pilgrim:

pilgrim |ˈpilgrəm|
noun
a person who journeys to a sacred place for religious reasons.
• (usu. Pilgrim) a member of a group of English Puritans fleeing religious persecution who sailed in the Mayflower and founded the colony of Plymouth, Massachusetts, in 1620.
• a person who travels on long journeys.
• chiefly poetic/literary a person whose life is compared to a journey.
verb ( -grimed, -griming) [ intrans. ] archaic
travel or wander like a pilgrim

I can see these individuals on a quest for reason.  It was so humbling to be with these folks as they struggle and search.  Having deep conversation with them about what their values are and how they came to those conclusions.  Then having an opportunity to share with them how I came to the place I am at as well as how I continue to search for knowledge and direction.  I am not sure if that was comforting or disconcerting for them. 

We are all on a long journey looking for directions.  We just need to pay attention to the little signposts & not just the giant billboards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment